Click here for Site Map
Jump to Main Content

KIN Teaching Assistantships

Students with graduate teaching assistantships in the Department of Kinesiology are assigned to teach physical activity and/or lecture-type courses. Courses typically taught by graduate teaching assistants are listed below. Other lecture-type courses may be added to this list from time-to-time depending upon departmental need.

Physical Activity Courses

  • KIN 101 - Beginning Aquatics
  • KIN 102 - Beginning Combative Sports
  • KIN 103 - Beginning Conditioning
  • KIN 104 - Beginning Dance
  • KIN 105 - Beginning Gymnastics
  • KIN 106 - Beginning Individual Sports
  • KIN 107 - Beginning Racquet Sports
  • KIN 108 - Beginning Team Sports
  • KIN 111 - Advanced Aquatics
  • KIN 112 - Advanced Combative Sports
  • KIN 113 - Advanced Conditioning
  • KIN 114 - Advanced Dance
  • KIN 115 - Advanced Gymnastics
  • KIN 116 - Advanced Individual Sports
  • KIN 117 - Advanced Racquet Sports
  • KIN 118 - Advanced Team Sports

Lecture-Type Courses

  • KIN 121 - The Healthy Lifestyle
  • KIN 125 - First Aid and Personal Safety
  • KIN 201 - Water Safety Instruction
  • KIN 202 - Aerobic Exercise Instruction
  • KIN 205 - Lifeguarding

Criteria for Awarding Graduate Teaching Assistantships

Physical Activity Courses. Candidates must have: (a) expertise in the selected activity; (b) experience teaching or coaching the selected activity; (c) current certification in first aid; and (d) current certification in CPR.  Evidence of expertise might consist of transcripts showing courses completed, a college letter in the selected sport, or nationally/internationally ranked performances in the sport. Experience teaching or coaching the selected activity could be demonstrated by teaching the activity at a public school or health club, coaching a high school or collegiate sports team, or certifications offered by professional organizations.

Additional requirements for aquatics,conditioning/fitness, and first aid/CPR courses are specified below. In every case, the candidate must present a current certification card.

  • Aquatics courses (KIN 101, KIN 111, KIN 201, KIN 205) - current American Red Cross certification in Lifeguard Training, Water Safety Instructor, Water Safety Instructor Trainer, Lifeguarding Instructor, or Lifeguarding Instructor Trainer as appropriate.
  • Conditioning/fitness courses (KIN 103, KIN 125) - current certification from the American Council on Exercise (ACE), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), Aerobics & Fitness Association of America (AFAA), S.T.E.P. Aerobics, or National Strength and Conditioning Association.
  • First Aid and Personal Safety (KIN 125) - current certification as First Aid Instructor, Responding to Emergencies Instructor, Community CPR Instructor, or CPR for the Professional Rescuer Instructor.

Lecture-Type Courses.  Candidates must have knowledge/expertise in the course content and experience teaching the selected activity. Evidence of knowledge/expertise might consist of transcripts showing courses completed or strong letters of recommendation. Experience teaching the subject matter could be demonstrated by serving as an intern instructor in the course or credentials such as the MSU Certificate in College Teaching.

Application Procedures

Students who are interested in a graduate teaching assistantship must complete the Application for KIN Graduate Teaching Assistantship: Teaching Competency Form. In addition, applicants should provide a resume and evidence of their qualifications. Prospective KIN graduate students should apply at the same time that they submit the Application for Graduate Study. Review of teaching assistantship applications will begin January 15 and continue until positions are filled. All applications should be submitted to:

Graduate Studies Secretary
Department of Kinesiology
27 IM Sports Circle
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824

Phone: (517) 355-4736

Graduate Employees Union

Graduate teaching assistants at MSU are represented by the Graduate Employees Union. The current version of the GEU contract is posted at TAs should read this contract carefully regarding their rights and responsibilities. For more information, go to the Graduate Employees Union web site. 

KIN Policies Related to Teaching Responsibilities

Evaluation of KIN Graduate Teaching Assistants

Graduate teaching assistants are evaluated at least annually for possible extension of their teaching assistantships for the following year. Click here for information about Evaluation of KIN Graduate Teaching Assistants. The following evaluation forms are used for this purpose.