college of education | fall 2001
Back to Contents |Article
The College of Education Celebrates
50 Years | Article 3
Years of Achievement
Highlights from a Century of First for the College of Education
First course in education offered. Dean of Women Maude Gilchrist
teaches "History of Education."
"Practice teaching" established at Lansing elementary
schools. Cooking and sewing are taught.
Michigan Agricultural College recommends certification through
First course in agricultural education. Study of pedagogy and practice
teaching established, and new division in agriculture created.
First practice teaching center established in East Lansing.
The Department of Education established to offer teacher training
through one- and two-year courses for rural schools, and four-year
courses for preparation of teachers for secondary schools.
Course in school administration and tests and measurements offered for
First full time student teaching in residence established in Mason,
Williamston and Charlotte. First teacher certificates required by the
Center in Grand Rapids and Flint for full-time student teaching in
home economics established.
Elementary education program started, requiring student teaching in
two schools: one rural (ungraded) and one graded.
The Basic College established, and schools set up within the
university. Education becomes a division.
Board of Agriculture approves the creation of the Institution of
Counseling, Testing and Guidance.
Off-campus credit courses offered.
First professor of higher education appointed.
First course in college student personnel taught.
The School of Education is established.
Cecil Millard becomes acting dean.
Clifford Erickson appointed
dean. The Department of Physical Education becomes part of the new
School of Education.
- 1954: Adult Education program
School of Education becomes College of Education when Michigan State
College changes its name to Michigan State University, New teaching
- 1956: Extern Program for
- 1958: The Education Building
- 1959: Student Teacher Experimental
Program (STEP) started with a Ford Foundation grant. Collaborative
arrangements are made with community colleges throughout the state.
- 1960: First group of faculty members
heads to Nigeria to help establish a national university at Nsukka.
John Ivey replaces Erickson as
- 1963: The Education Building is
renamed Erickson Hall after Clifford Erickson's death. STEP renamed
the Elementary Intern Program (EIP). Six EIP centers in place
throughout the state.
Training Teachers of Teachers (Tripe T) initiated.
William Hawley appointed acting
dean. In recognition of his service to college, title of "acting
" removed upon his retirement, making him the third dean in the
Keith Goldhammer appointed dean.
College forms a partnership with the Middle Cities Education
Association. Intercollegiate athletics are separated from the
Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation.
Master of Art in Classroom Teaching (MACT) program in the Southwest
Center in Benton Harbor becomes operational.
Triple T program becomes known as Excellence in Elementary Education (EEE).
College wins competition; establishes Institute for Research on
Teaching (IRT). The Michigan Legislature establishes the Institute for
the Study of Youth Sports based in the Department of Health, Physical
Education and Recreation.
Career Resource Center (later to be renamed the Michigan Center for
Career and Technical Education) established in the College.
Judith Lanier assumes the deanship
of the college.
Alternative Teacher Education Programs approved as pilot programs
after two years of research and planning.
Thematic programs adopted as formal parts of teacher preparation.
Former Secretary of Education T. H. Bell travels to Erickson Hall to
honor the Institute for Research on Teaching and release A Nation
The Office of International Studies in Education established, and Jack
Schwille appointed assistant dean in charge of its operation.
College establishes National Center for Research on Teacher Education
Holmes Group issues its first report, Tomorrow's Teachers.
Professional Development Schools Initiated. Task force recommends
yearlong internship in Professional Development School.
College establishes National Center for Research on Teacher Learning (NCRTL).
Professor William Schmidt becomes head of U.S. participation in Third
International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS).
Carole Ames is appointed dean.
First pilot cohort of students begins yearlong internship.
U.S. News and World Report issues first ranking of education
school graduate programs. College has several programs ranked in the
top 10, and elementary and secondary education programs ranked as best
in the nation.
Technology Exploration Center inaugurated. The Department of
Counseling, Educational Psychology and Special Education launches the
Technology Certificate Program.
The Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement (CIERA)
established in the college under the direction of Hannah Professor P.
The Education Policy Center at MSU and the Center for the Scholarship
of Teaching initiated.
50th Anniversary Celebration.
Back to Contents |Article